Thomas Anthony Barnett

It is with sadness that we have to inform you of the death of Thomas Anthony Barnett, aged 69 years, who died on Wednesday 16 January 2019.

The funeral is at 11.00am Thursday 31 January 2019 at Mansfield Crematorium.   The Undertakers are W S Ingham & Son, 11 Poplar Grove, Forest Town, Mansfield, NG19 0HW.

Donations can be sent to the Undertakers or donated at the Service for the benefit of the British Heart Foundation.

Thomas joined the Combined Force in 1971and served at Mansfield before transferring to the Dog Section.   He remained at this section until he retired in 2005.   There will be refreshments after at the Masonic Lodge, 155 Nottingham Road, Mansfield. NG18 4AE.   All are welcome.   Photograph attached.

Notification of the death of a retired Police Officer

David Richards

It is with great sadness that we have to inform you of the death of David Richards, aged 70 years, a retired Police Officer who died on Monday 4 February 2019.

The funeral is at 11.00am Monday 4 March 2019 at Mansfield Crematorium.    The undertakers are Ken Gregory and Son, 365 Nottingham Road, Mansfield. NG18 4SG.  Family flowers only.

Any donations to the Parkinson’s Disease Charity which can be sent to the Undertakers or donated at the Service.

David joined the Combined Force in 1971 and was stationed at Mansfield, Sutton in Ashfield, Traffic Department, Special Ops and was a Custody Sergeant at Mansfield.   He retired in 1997.

Steven Cropper

It is with sadness that we have been informed of the death of Stephen Cropper who died on the 13 February 2019.

Stephen joined the Combined Constabulary as a Cadet in 1970 before his appointment in November 1972, he served at Bingham until leaving “the job” in 1978. Steve worked in various roles until joining British Waterways as a Patrol Officer in 1993 in which role he served until his retirement in 2018.

The funeral is at 1.15pm Thursday 7th March 2019 at Mansfield Crematorium Derby Rd Mansfield NG18 5BJ and afterwards at Il Rosso 180 Nottingham Rd Mansfield NG17 4AF. Family flowers only with donations to RNLI and Jerry Green Dog Rescue. All are welcome.

Steve was not a member of NARPO


Frederick Lynch

We now have the details for the funeral of Frederick

Lynch, aged 89 years, who died on Sunday 4 November

2018.         There will be a Service at Our Lady and St

Edwards Church on Gordon Road, St Anns, NG3 2LG

at 12.15pm. Tuesday 20 November, 2018, followed

by cremation at Gedling Crematorium at 1.30pm.

All are welcome to attend.


The Undertakers are the Co-operative Funeralcare,

69 Gedling Road, Carlton NG4 3FG


Donates to Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation via the

Undertakers or at the Services


Fred was asked to joined the City Police in 1955 by

Captain Popkiss because of his of his cricket prowess,

being a very fast bowler.         He served at Central,

Mechanised, Hyson Green and Carrington.   He retired

in 1979.


He was a very big Country Music fan and he continued

with this after retirement setting up Fred’s Place on

Mapperley Plains where there will be refreshments after

the funeral.    All are welcome.



Peter Henry Sketchley


It is with sadness that we have to inform you of the death

of Peter Henry Sketchley, aged 89 years, who died on the

11 March 2018.   We have only just found this out and no

further details are known

We do not have any details of a relative at this stage.


Peter joined the City Police and served in uniform and CID.

He was also a Scenes of Crime Officer in the later part of his

career.   His wife Pauline died about 4 years ago.



Brian Marshall



Notification of the death of a retired Police Officer

Derek Norman Sulley

It is with sadness that we have to inform you of the death of

Derek Norman Sulley, aged 70 years of age, who died on

Wednesday 17 October 2018.


The funeral is at 2.45pm on Wednesday 7 November 2018 at

Mansfield Crematorium.

The Undertakers are A W Lymn, The Old Farm, Welbeck Road,

Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottingham. NG19 9JZ


Donations to Macmillan Cancer Support and the Police

Dependents Trust via the Undertaker, at the Service, or at

From here people can make donations and leave messages should

you wish. There is also an obituary so please have a look at it.  


Derek joined the Cadets in the County Force prior to

becoming a Police Officer.   He served at Mansfield and Ollerton

Traffic before returning to Mansfield to complete his career

in the cells

Brian Marshall

pp John Kennedy

Notts Secretary



Frederick George Carr (Ric)


The details for the funeral of Frederick George Carr are

as follows.   There will be a Service at All Saints Church,

Annesley Cutting, Annesley NG15 0AJ, at 1.30pm on

Monday 12 November 2018 followed by a burial at the

Kirkby in  Ashfield Cemetery, on Kingsway.

All are welcome to both.


The undertakers are George Hanson, 13 Watnall Road,

Hucknall NG15 7LD


Donations to Kings Mill Hospital Gamma Scanner Appeal

Via the Undertaker or at the Service.


Ric joined the Combined Force and service at Hucknall,

Eastwood, and Kirkby in Ashfield.

There will be refreshments after at the Kingsway Public

House, on Kingsway, Kirkby in Ashfield.



Notification of the deaths of two retired Police Officers


1.          Frederick Lynch, aged 85 years who died on Sunday

4 November 2018.


2.         Christopher Edward Marshall, aged 57 years, who

Died on Saturday 3 November 2018.


We will send out the details as soon as we have them.


Brian Marshall

pp John Kennedy

Notts Secretary.







Paul Huffen 1

Paul Huffen
4 October 1954 – 27 May 2018

Paul joined the Police Service from school, having been educated at Ashfield ComprehensiveSchool, Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. He joined the Nottinghamshire Police Cadets which were based at Epperstone Manor, the Force Training School, in 1971.

At age 19 Paul attended the District Police Training School at Pannal Ash in North Yorkshire.

Having completed his training, Paul was sent to Nottingham Central Division, starting his
first shift on Christmas Eve. He was sent home early to celebrate Christmas and returned to find he was to begin his Police Service at Canning Circus Police Station.

Paul completed his probationary training and remained at Canning Circus until the early
1980s, when he was transferred to Hucknall Police Station.
Paul spent time at Hucknall both as a Patrol Officer and in the Control Room until the late 1980s when he was transferred to Eastwood Police Station. He remained as a Patrol Officer until the last two years of his service when he transferred to the Nottingham City Division Burglary Team based at Radford Road Police Station. He remained there until his retirement in 2002.
Always a keen outdoorsman, Paul enjoyed hiking, particularly in the Lake District and
Scotland. After retiring, Paul developed a keen interest in shooting, working as a
gamekeeper in Moorgreen and Thurgarton, both in Nottinghamshire, as well as driving a
game cart at Belvoir Castle in Leicester.
Paul is leaves behind Sue, his wife of 39 years, son Mark, daughter in law Michelle and
grandchildren Emily and Charlie.



Retired Nottinghamshire Police officer Mr Denis Silverwood has been awarded the French Republic’s greatest honour, being appointed a Knight of the Order of the Légion d’honneur. The honour which was instituted by the Emperor Napoleon, has been awarded to surviving veterans of the Second World War on the order of the President of the Republic. The citation which accompanied the insignia from the French Embassy makes clear the debt owed to Mr Silverwood’s generation, stating “…we must not forget the heroes like you, who came from Britain and the Commonwealth to begin the liberation of Europe by liberating France. We owe our freedom and security to your dedication, because you were ready to risk your life”.

A conversation with Mr Silverwood is an education and a brush with the shadows of history itself. Despite the passage of time Chief Superintendent (Retired) Denis Edwin Silverwood QPM remains sharp, clear yet very modest while speaking about his service to his country as both sailor and police constable. With a sense of humour as strong as his handshake he recalled the day in 1942 he volunteered for service in the Royal Navy and attended the Butlin’s holiday camp at Skegness which had been converted into His Majesty’s Naval Establishment Royal Arthur. With a lick of white paint, a Royal Naval ensign, a shouting Petty Officer and some rowing boats on the swimming pool to train the sailors, Butlin’s took on a new lease of life, being named Billy Butlin’s navy by the young Silverwood and the other young sailors!

On completion of his training, 17 year old Ordinary Seaman Silverwood was sent to Scotland to begin training as a signalman, in which he had shown particular skill. Shortly afterwards his posting was confirmed to HM Minesweeper MMS 218 and he joined the fleet in one of the most dangerous of duties in the war at sea. MMS 218 was a small warship, lightly armed and made of wood making her very vulnerable to enemy fire. Crewed by 22 men, many of whom where hard Scotsmen and professional seamen drawn from the fishing fleets the small minesweeper was employed in sweeping the English Channel of German sea mines. Earning your place amongst these hard men wasn’t easy but Denis Silverwood earned his place, none more so than in June 1944 during Operation Overlord, the invasion of occupied Europe.
During the dark early hours of June 6th 1944, the greatest invasion fleet ever to set sail, slowly and silently crossed the English Channel with ships filled to the brim with troops in order to begin what would for ever more be known as D Day. Essential to the success of the operation and leading the vanguard which would see the French people free from domination was the small minesweeper MMS 218 and her sister ships of the Dover minesweeper flotilla.
The small group of ships, with their close knit crews numbered 8, and were responsible for clearing the sea lanes of high explosive mines. By the end of the operation, 2 of their wooden hulled number would be destroyed and sent to the bottom of the channel with heavy losses.
Although the danger was immense and the risk and loss of life high Mr Silverwood reflects“we didn’t have it as bad as the soldiers though”. Despite his modesty however, Able Seaman Denis Silverwood was awarded one of the oldest British recognitions of bravery for the Normandy Landings, being Mentioned In Dispatches.
Upon the outbreak of peace, Denis took advantage of a scheme which saw many ex servicemen join the police force, and in 1946 he joined the Nottingham City Police in which his own father, an ex Royal Marine was serving. As a young Police Constable, PC Silverwood was stationed in the Northern Division covering Highson Green, Bulwell, Basford and Carrington, all on foot. Promoted to sergeant in 1953 Denis displayed obvious leadership skills and on attending a course at the Police College in 1960 the Commandant noted “He has qualities which fit him for higher rank.”
Promoted to Chief Superintendent in 1970 Mr Silverwood took up a post with Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary where his strong organisational skills helped shape and advise many northern constabularies. For his work within the Inspectorate Chief Superintendent Denis Silverwood received a letter in June 1974 stating “ I am directed by the Secretary of State to inform you that Her Majesty The Queen has been pleased to award you the Queen’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service”.
Mr Silverwood retired in 1981, however again volunteered to help his force and community in 1997 by assisting as a volunteer to man Radcliffe Upon Trent Police station. In the service of his country Chief Superintendent Denis Edwin Silverwood QPM was awarded the following recognition for his service to his country by King and Queen alike – Mine Sweeper Good Conduct Badge, the Europe Star, the France and Germany Star, the War Medal, the Defence Medal with Mention In Despatches, Queens Silver Jubilee Medal, the Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, Queens Police Medal (QPM) and latterly upon the order of the President of France, the Légion d’honneur.
Nottinghamshire Police has much to be proud of.
PC 2825 Rob Phillips

Denis Silverwood

Lynda Ramowski

Lynda was the wife of ex Detective Constable Alec Ramowski who was stationed for most of his service at Hyson Green Sub Division. On 28th September 2017 she passed away peacefully in the arms of her loving husband Alec and in the presence of her family at the City Hospital after a short fight with cancer.

Lynda first met Alec at the Corpus Christi school, Wilford in 1959 but it was not until 1962 when Alec became a prefect that they first showed interest in each other. Lynda would play hiding games with a friend at lunchtimes and test Alec to see if he could find her as she hid under coats in the cloakroom while he carried out his lunchtime prefect duties of checking for pupils who should have left the school buildings during their lunch break. (this was perhaps testing him to see how good he would be as a detective!)

In 1963 they both left school and at that time went their separate ways, Lynda taking employment at Players and Alec at Raleigh factory. Whilst working at Raleigh Alec met Lynda’s mother who also worked at the factory. Lynda had also moved to Raleigh from her Players job and in 1965 her mother reintroduced them both and from then on romance flourished.

In 1966 Alec joined the City Police and in December of that year at his passing out parade at Panal Ash Police Training Centre he proposed to Lynda.

They married on 1st June 1968 and went on to have four children, two boys and two girls and from them followed nine grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.

Alec retired in 1997 and after his retirement the couple would regularly have holidays abroad. They especially adored Benidorm visiting there over 70 times.

Lynda is probably better known by many ex police officers for serving them drinks in various pubs around Hyson Green, the two Ukranian Clubs and also the Radford Road Police bar.

8 years ago, Lynda was diagnosed with breast cancer and after treatment and an operation she battled to beat this and was diagnosed cancer free 5 years later.

Lynda continued having a hectic social life of holidays, playing bingo and also helping Alec to organise Quiz nights and bingo sessions at local pubs/clubs. She also became a Committee member at the British legion Club, Wollaton where Alec is currently vice chairman.

In late July this year, Lynda began having backache problems and difficulty in walking and after tests it was found that cancer had returned and was untreatable. She continued to battle on not complaining and continued going out socialising and playing bingo. However on 24th September she became unwell and was admitted to the City hospital where on 28th September she was to pass away peacefully to be reunited with her parents and sister.

Lynda’s passing is a sad loss to everyone who knew her but she was and always will be a great inspiration to anyone and their family affected by this awful disease

Bernard John Clegg COOTE

It is with sadness that we have to inform you of the death of Bernard John Clegg COOTE, aged 90 years, who died on Saturday 13 May 2017.

Bernard joined the City Police in 1951 and served at Hyson Green, Central and Canning Circus and retired in 1984.

NARPO have sent a condolence card but if you wish to send your own, send to his daughter Linda WOOD, 55 South Road, West Bridgford, NG2 2FD

The funeral is at 4.30pm. on Thursday 25 May 2017 at the Gedling Crematorium on Catfoot Lane, Lambley, NG4 4QH and the Undertakers are the Co-operative Funeralcare, 18 Tudor Square, West Bridgford, NG2 6BT

Any donations to Barnardo’s Children Home via the Undertaker or at the Service.    There will be refreshments afterward, the venue yet to be arranged.


Subject: Louise’s The Wall page

In  November last year Ds 463 Dean Cosgrove died of a brain tumour, he survived 1 year from diagnosis and died a few weeks short of his 50th birthday . A close family friend is doing an endurance challenge in memory of Dean. She is doing “the wall” a 69 mile run along Hadrian ‘s wall from Carlisle to Newcastle in less than 24hrs ! The link to her just giving  page to raise money for the brain tumour charity is below ….

With thanks for any support

You can help Louise Platts raise money for this great cause by donating directly to their fundraising page, please click this link –

JustGiving sends your donation straight to Brain Tumour Charity (The) and automatically reclaims Gift Aid if you are a UK taxpayer, so your donation is worth even more.

Thank  you

Kathy Cosgrove

John Kenneth BLAGG

It is with sadness that I have to inform you of the death of John Kenneth Blagg, 78 years, who died on the 22 April 2017. John joined the County Force in 1963 and retired in 1993. He served at Balderton, Newark Traffic, Mansfield, Newark CID where he was a Det/Sgt.

The funeral is at 12noon. on Monday 8 May 2017 at St Giles Church, Main Street, Balderton NG24 3NP followed at 1.00pm by a cremation at Ollerton Crematorium. The funeral directors at E Gill & Son, 55 Albert Street, Newark NG24 4BQ. All are welcome to attend the services.

The wake for the funeral will be at the Mellish Rugby Club opposite the Travellers Rest.  All are welcome.

Anyone wishing to send condolences please address them to his wife Iris at The Outpost, Brecks Lane, Stapleford, Lincs. LN6 9LA

Donation should be sent to the Sam White Charity, via the undertaker or at the Services.

Marcia KIRKHAM (nee  TYERS)

It is with sadness that I have to inform you of the details of the death of Marcia Kirkham (79 years) who died on the 21 April 2017.   The funeral is to be held at 2.30pm. on Friday 19 May 2017 at Gelding Crematorium on Catfoot Lane, Lambley NG4 4QH..   The funeral Directors are A W Lymn, Robin Hood Street, Nottingham. NG3 1GT.
Donations to Nottinghamshire Hospice, Woodborough Road, Nottingham via the Undertakers or at the Service.   There will be refreshments after at the Paviers Rugby Club on Woodborough Road and all are welcome.

Marcia was married to Charles Frederick Kirkham who joined the County Force and served at Carlton, Mansfield Woodhouse, Traffic (Mansfield), Force Control  Room at Epperstone and Sherwood Lodge.   He completed his service at Central Division.  He was a member of NARPO and for many years was the Assistant Secretary.

Richard SPOUGE

Rick was born on 9th July 1938 at No.40 The Knoll, Mansfield, to the proud parents of Denis and Mable Spouge. Denis was in the Army at that time so much of Rick’s younger years were spent moving from place to place including Essex, Cheadle, Sheffield, Ruddington and finally back to their Mansfield home which had been rented out during the war.
Rick disliked school, apart from woodwork and music that is! He had a passion for playing the piano and practiced religiously on his dad’s upright grand at their home. His dad paid for him to have private weekly lessons and he eventually was able to play classical music quite proficiently. Sadly, on the day before his debut at a public concert, he put a chisel into his thumb during his woodwork class which put paid to his bright future career as a solo concert pianist – and the rest of course was history!!
In 1953 he left school and applied to join the Police force having told his Dad that he fancied a job that wasn’t boring – and boring it never was! Rick was accepted as a Police cadet in 1953, stationed at Mansfield Police Station and that was the start of the job he loved for many years.
Rick learned to drive with the help of his dad’s ‘Flying Standard 12 Saloon’, a ‘Riley Coupe’ and a fabulous ‘Ford Prefect’, in which he passed his test just after his 17th Birthday. He enjoyed driving immensely and his skills would come in handy later on in his career.
In his training years as a cadet Rick also took up rock climbing on his days off, travelling with his new cadet pals to the Peak District, North Wales and they even had a go at Mount Snowden.

In 1957 Richard’s mum Mable became ill and for just over a year he nursed her, along with his Dad at home until she passed away aged just 47. This was an extremely difficult time for Rick and one of the rare times during his life when his friends saw him very subdued and not his usual mischievous & happy self.
Aged 18 and three quarters Rick was finally fitted out with his police uniform, given the no. 536 and sent to Pannal Ash Police Training College in Harrogate. He had a great time making new friends there and eventually had his passing out parade at the end of the course before being posted to Retford. On 9th July 1957, aged 19, Rick was sworn in as a Constable at Shire Hall, Nottingham.
Rick had many hilarious stories to tell about the antics he got up to whilst on duty or evening beats.
One such incident involved his regular practice of going into the local Pentecostal Church in the middle of the night to get warm, have a sit down and smoke his pipe. One evening he spotted their lovely organ and temptation got the better of him – he was soon pumping the old pedals to gain maximum air and belting out a rendition of Mendelssohn’s ‘Death March’. What Rick didn’t know was that a young married couple occupied the top floor flat at the church and had rung the Police Station terror stricken to report that it was haunted and that there was a phantom organist in residence!
Another incident was when he decided to see if he could do a headstand in the middle of the cobbled market street in full uniform wearing his hard policeman’s helmet, balancing only on the metal knob at the top! He was in the midst of performing this amazing feat, with the soles of his size 9s vertically upright, when the driver of a heavy goods lorry came careering around the corner and
narrowly missed going straight through Curry’s showroom window. The driver had obviously been startled by the shock of seeing a perfectly inverted Bobby standing upside down to attention in the market square!
Rick met his first wife Brenda in 1960 whom he married and along came a beautiful daughter in 1961 Debbie Teresa, born at Worksop Hospital. They settled in a Police House in Retford, then two years later on Christmas Day 1963, they were blessed with a second beautiful daughter Tracey Jayne who was born at home. Around this time Rick had applied to join the Traffic Division of the Police, he completed his advanced driving course and started to cover the Nottingham City Police area. After transferring from Retford to West Bridgford to join the Traffic Team, Rick was overjoyed when his son Darren Anthony arrived in 1970. In his autobiography Rick wrote, “All of my three children were well behaved thoughtful and considerate – we could take them anywhere and they would never let us down”.
Many good times were spent working in Nottingham with his great colleagues and friends, but unfortunately he began to suffer ill health resulting in 3 operations during his early 30’s. Ultimately Rick had to take early retirement in 1979 on health grounds having served 4 years as a Cadet and 22 years as a Police Constable and was presented with a Long Service & Good Conduct Medal at the Force HQ.
Rick began working again with a job in media communications and it was here he was introduced to his second wife Pamela, a nurse with two sons Gary and Robert. They immediately hit it off and found they had much in common. They booked their first holiday together in the old town of Rhodes and it was here Rick proposed to Pam.
Another job came along as an Ambulance Driver for Notts County Council, transporting elderly and disabled people to and from Hospitals and Day Care Centres which Rick thoroughly enjoyed.
Rick suffered more surgery in 1987 after contracting heart problems and was sent to St Barts in London for a triple heart bypass. Pam stayed with him in London during this time and two months after they were married at St Giles Church in West Bridgford on 6 June 1987. With all Rick’s medical problems Pam always had somebody to practice her nursing skills on and he said she was the best thing that had happened to him.
In 1992 Rick joined the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes where he progressed to the highest rank of the order, Roll of Honour. His only regret were his parents weren’t there to witness it. He took much enjoyment being involved in the RAOB and made lots more new friends.
He also took up wedding photography semi-professionally and did the photography at many of the children’s weddings. He immersed himself in his role of Co-ordinator for his Neighbourhood Watch scheme giving crime prevention advice to local residents and thoroughly enjoyed still being connected to the Police.
I’d just like to conclude Rick’s eulogy with a moving poem he wrote and included in his autobiography:

Dennis The Menace
They seek him here, they seek him there
The Sergeants seek him everywhere
Is he out boozing or up to his tricks
That damned elusive 536!

Reverend Tom IRVINE

It is with sadness that I have to inform you of the death of Reverend Tom Irvine aged 76 years, who died on Sunday 16 April 2017.      Tom was one of the Police Chaplains and many will know him for his work and social liaisons.      He also administered at the funerals of many retired Officers.

The funeral is at 10.30am on Saturday 6 May 2017 at the United Reform Church on Farleys Grove, off Farleys Lane, Hucknall, Nottingham. NG15 6FG   This is Tom’s Church.  All are welcome to attend the service.

Barak (Barry) BRAZENER

It is with sadness that I have to inform you of the death of Barak Brazener, aged 88 years, known as Barry, who died on Monday 3 April 2017.      Barry joined the City Police about 1948 and was stationed at Central and then Northern Division at Hyson Green where he worked in the front office.     He retired in 1978.

The funeral is at 12noon on Wednesday 26 April 2017 at St Johns Church, Mansfield Road, Carrington NG5 2DP and afterwards there is a private burial at Redhill Cemetery.   The Funeral Directors are A W Lymn, of 32 High Street, Arnold. NG5 7DZ.
Donations to the Greyhound Rescue Trust via the Undertaker or at the Service.

A condolence card has been sent to the family on behalf of NARPO.   If you wish to send
you wish to send your own address them to his his eldest son, Grenville Brazener of 38 Crossman Street, Sherwood Nottingham. NG5 2HQ.

There will be refreshments at 2.00pm at Bulwell Forest Golf Club, all are welcome.

Maurice MUNDY

Maurice Mundy joined Nottingham City Police in 30 September 1964. He was stationed at Central Police Station patrolling the city centre.

He then went on to work in Central Admin preparing the shift rotas & allocating the then newly named panda cars to officers. Some years later he transferred & specialised on the  Traffic Division. He was very happy on Traffic.

He passed his promotion exams & he was promoted to Sergeant. He returned to general duties at Central Police Station. Maurice then specialised again as a Remands Sergeant before the role was taken over by the Crown Prosecution Service. The work load was immense & he had to get up to date with lots of cases going before the Guildhall & Shirehall Magistrates courts started at 10am. He took great pride in his work addressing the magistrates bench to ensure that the defendants didn’t get court bail. He did everything in his power to ensure that dangerous & repeat offenders weren’t released to commit further crimes.

After leaving the courts office in 1987 he trained at Harrogate, North Yorkshire to become a trainer at the Central Police Training College at Ryton-on-Dunsmore. He loved teaching the students & the whole community that came with the training school.

In addition to his full time work he provided cover for the Nottingham Attendance Centre. It was a difficult & demanding role dealing with the delinquent juveniles. The normal mild mannered softly spoken Maurice took on the role of drill sergeant in his attempts to provide those boys some discipline. After some health problems he retired in 6 December 1993.

Maurice leaves behind his wife Jenny & his daughter Freya. They were married 54 years. Freya went on to become a police officer. She is now a member of NARPO.

His funeral is at Bramcote Crematorium on Tuesday 11th April at 3.30pm. No flowers please. Donations are invited to BLESMA (British Limbness Ex-ServiceMen’s Association) Nottingham Branch. They supported Maurice & Jenny practically & emotionally following Maurice’s above knee amputation in 2011. Family, friends & neighbours are invited for refreshments after the service.


Died 25th August. Widow of Pc 90, Tom Alwyne Cutts. Doris and Tom were married on 3rd Sept.1949 at St Mathews Church, Boughton, Ollerton. Notts. They moved to their first police house at Selston, followed by his service at Mansfield Woodhouse, Harworth, Costhorpe, Worksop and Carlton in Lindrick, from he retired in 1976. Doris was, as many rural Pc’s wives were, an unpaid assistant to Tom, answering the phone, taking messages, looking after locals, looking after the Police House and a multitude of other tasks!! Following his retirement, Tom became a Porter at Lenton Hall, Nottm. University. They both eventually moved up to Wakefield in Oct 1987 to be nearer the family.

Michael McPARLAND 

Insp. Died 8th August. MIchael started his working in the offices at the national coal board. He was then called up for national service and joined the RAF as pay clerk in the accounts office from 1946 to 1948. He then joined the police force and married Hazel Bacon in 1950, they had two children Maureen and Margaret. His first posting was to Arnold, then to Kinoulton, he then moved to Gedling and after several years joined the city police where he was promoted to Inspector. He retired at the age of 48 after serving 25 years. Sadly the marriage to Hazel did not last and they divorced, but from that marriage he has 5 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren. He was an avid reader and taught himself French and Spanish , he loved his classical music, but also loved Tom and Jerry and laurel and hardy and loved a good joke. For the past twenty years he has had a lovely life with joyce baguley, they enjoyed many holidays together in France and Spain and had many friends. He will be sadly missed by so many people.

Maurice JACKSON 

D/Constable (663/1443) Died 20th August. Following schooling his initially employment was found within agriculture working on farms in the vicinity of Burton Joyce. At 18 years of age Maurice was required to perform two years National Service undertaking basic training at Aldershot. He was then trained in the assembly of Bailey and Pontoon Bridges. A further posting to Minden Germany led to a role of goods vehicle driver which included vehicle maintenance. Demob followed a posting to Fernleigh in Hampshire at the conclusion of his military years service. He joined the Police in 1960 and following training at Pannal Ash, Harrogate, his probationary period was completed at Mansfield. He later transferred to West Bridgford where accommodation was found in a Police House. Another transfer followed, this time to the Traffic Department where he served for four years patrolling the M1 Motorway, which at this time consisted of a five mile stretch from Kegworth to Sandiacre. He resigned from the Nottinghamshire Police on 31/12/1968 and spent 6 yrs away from the job, becoming involved in the Double Glazing Industry but was glad to be able to return to his chosen career . In 1972 Maurice attempted to re-join Nottinghamshire Police and surrounding forces but found that they were fully staffed. Following a successful application to the Metropolitan Police he became Police Constable 663 residing in Forest Hill East London completing his probationary period before transferring back to Nottinghamshire Police as Police Constable 1443 on 1st January 1974. A posting to Carlton Police Station led to foot patrol in Netherfield, Carlton, and Gedling.. The Chief Constable of the day whom Maurice had chauffeured on previous occasions suggested he apply for CID which he did and was duly accepted. This role took him to postings in Carlton, Arnold, St Ann`s and Sneinton, latterly returning to Carlton again. At the age of 55 years Maurice was granted annual service extensions until he retired at the age of 58 years on 24th June 1992. During his service with CID Maurice received commendations on several occasions from Crown Court Judges and the Chief Constable, for his excellent detective work. Specifically one award related to professionalism, speed, and tenacity bringing to justice four extremely dangerous and violent criminals. He has always been known for his very smart appearance at all times when working and it is frequently said by colleagues that ‘Nothing ever phased him’. Angela is Maurice’s 3rd wife. They had been together for the past 17yrs. They actually got married on Maurice’s birthday. They had arranged the Wedding secretly but she had invited guests ‘ To Maurice’s Birthday Celebrations’ to be held at Carlton PS. Maurice was not aware of this and they arrived at the PS with Maurice believing that they were just going for a drink. All the guests were there, they thought it was his birthday party being unaware that a wedding had taken place. So the birthday party turned into a Wedding Reception!! Maurice has been into Golf for many years and Angela and he were both members at the Mapperley Club until he contracted Spondalitis about 10 yrs ago and had to take more rest. As his condition deteriorated he obtained a mobility scooter top ensure he could still get to the shops etc. About 2 yrs ago he also contracted Leaukemia and had to undergo several periods of chemotherapy (between March and October last year) plus numerous blood transfusions since then. The frequency increasing with time until it became unviable. Since Christmas last year he had been in and out of the City hospital with bouts of Septicemia, Ecoli and C.Diff. and he eventually lapsed into unconsciousness from which sadly, he didn’t recover. As well as Angela, Maurice leaves 2 daughters from his first marriage (Debbie & Sue), and 2 stepdaughters and 1 daughter, from his 2nd (Cindy, Laura – who died 4 yrs ago after a long battle with cancer – and Zoe). On his 3rd marriage, to Angela, he inherited 2 more stepdaughters (Cheryl and Jane). In addition there are 13 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild! In retirement he was a person who didn’t ask much from life, instead he was most contented and comfortable when at Home and just loved watching football.

Adam ‘Jock’ Watson GORDON

Pc 274 / 1074 – Notts. Constabulary. Prev. Glasgow City Police Trans. Died 27/11/2016. Adam joined the Glasgow City Police in 1946. He transferred to Nottinghamshire Constabulary in 1949 Where he served as a beat Officer at Retford, Sutton in Ashfield, Bingham, Hucknall, Mansfield and Worksop from where he retired. He continued as a civilian with Notts Police at Worksop until 1982.


P.c. 566 (Nottm. City Police – then Notts Constabulary) Died 14/11/2016 John joined Nottingham City Police on 13th March 1967.
He completed his initial Police Training at Pannal Ash, PTC, Harrogate. Yorks. His early service was at Central and Bath Street Police Stations.He later trained as a SOCO and spent most of his service in this dept.He spent the last 5yrs at the Guildhall Cells, Nottingham.


Died 12/11/2016.Widow of John Norma Pickston (Pc 278/1078) (Died 1970) who joined the County Police and was stationed at various places including Hucknall, Collingham and Kirkby in Ashfield.

Anthony Henry JELLY

Sgt 551 (Nottingham City Police) – Nottinghamshire Constabulary. Died 13/11/2016. Served with the combined force, at Mansfield, Strelley, Clifton and Station St, The Meadows, amongst other places.

Valerie NORTH

Died November 2016. Spouse of retired officer R.N. (Nick) North. No further information available

Michael John ROBINSON

P.c. 1462 Nottinghamshire Constabulary (Previously a Cadet). Died Oct 2016. Served at Worksop and Traffic Department.

Joan Constance MELLOTT

Died 20th October. Spouse of retired officer

Frederick Royston ‘Roy’ MELLOTT

Pc 877 who was stationed at Arnold, then to West Bridgford when he worked on the Traffic Division, then based at the garage at West Bridgford Police Station. Later on he was posted back to Arnold and eventually to Worksop.

Brian George LAMBERT

Ch Insp. Died 31st July.

Michael John STRONG

Sgt 1216. Died 20th July. Mick started as a Cadet at Mansfield. In 1970 he moved to Nottingham Traffic Wing and subsequently on to the Motorcycle section from where he retired. He died in St Thomas’ Hospital, London following an operation for vascular problems. His family were present and have stated that the care he received there was exemplary.

Walter WARD

Chf Insp. Died 10th July. Having previously served in the Grenadier Guards, he started his Police Service in the County, his first station was Stapleford. Apparently he used to cycle from Hucknall where he lived at the time. He also served at Hucknall (1959) Sutton Bonnington, Worksop, was a Sgt. in Finance at HQ Epperstone, (lived in a Police hse. in Lowdham at that time) spent some time at FHQ Sherwood Lodge. Was a Ch.Insp. at the Meadows PS. During the last 10yrs of his service he was stationed at Central, Canal Street and Hamilton House.

Pamela May BRAMMER

Died 23rd July. Pamela was the spouse of retired Inspector Dave Brammer. Pamela had been seriously ill since 2014 and had experienced numerous periods of hospital in-patient treatment. She had numerous medical conditions including Heart failure. For the last 5mths she had been totally incapacitated and requiring full time care (including palliative care) which was provided by David.
Kenneth Randall Pc565. Died 6th July. Ken joined the City Police and served at Bestwood and Nottingham Traffic as Patrol Officer and Cell Block Driver.

Lottie Jean SLACK

Died 5th July. (Lottie) otherwise known as Jean, was married to James (Jimmy) Slack who joined Nottm. City Police on 2/12/1929 and retired on 1/12/1959. Jimmy joined at the same time as

Bernard Constantine FAULKENER

(who later retired as a Supt.) they having known each other for some years before joining.


Died 28th June. Hilda was married to Harold (Harry) Wilce who died some time ago. He was a County Officer and served at West Bridgford, Bleasby and Mansfield.


Died 23rd June. Hilda was the husband of Dennis Crossland who passed away in 2000. Dennis joined the County Force and served at Retford, Kirky in Ashfield, Newark, Mansfield, Epperstone and retired at Retford.

David Philip SHARDLOW

Inspector. Died 21st June. David joined the Combind Force and served at Central, Beeston (LAC), Meadows, Forest Town (LAC), PSU Training and Force Control Room from where he retired.

Sheila Betty IFOULD

Died 16th May. Sheila was the widow pf Ernest Ilfould. Ernie joined the County Force and served at Beeston and Stapleford before retiring as Inspector.


Det Supt. County. Died 20th May. Harry was in the Royal Military Police prior to joining the County Force. He served at Carlton, Shirehall, Ollerton, Drug Squad, Stolen Vehicle Squad, R C S, Retford, West Bridgford, Radofrd Road and Hucknall. He also did a tour of duty in Northern Ireland in 1982.

John Malcolm Henry GOUGH

Sgt 134 City. Died 14th May. Malcolm joined the City Police after serving in the Army. He was station on Northern Division, Traffic, Central, Drugs Squad and Crime Prevention. He founded the City Rubgy Section.Sgt 134 City. Died 14th May. Malcolm joined the City Police after serving in the Army. He was station on Northern Division, Traffic, Central, Drugs Squad and Crime Prevention. He founded the City Rubgy Section.Steven Cropper
It is with sadness that we have been informed of the death of Stephen Cropper who died on the 13 February 2019.
Stephen joined the Combined Constabulary as a Cadet in 1970 before his appointment in November 1972, he served at Bingham until leaving “the job” in 1978. Steve worked in various roles until joining British Waterways as a Patrol Officer in 1993 in which role he served until his retirement in 2018.
The funeral is at 1.15pm Thursday 7th March 2019 at Mansfield Crematorium Derby Rd Mansfield NG18 5BJ and afterwards at Il Rosso 180 Nottingham Rd Mansfield NG17 4AF. Family flowers only with donations to RNLI and Jerry Green Dog Rescue. All are welcome.
Steve was not a member of NARPO